Get Featured: Mario Zorzi

by Michael Nguyen /

Scroll down

Get Featured: Mario Zorzi
Mario shares with us an intimately poignant project that is both haunting and humbling. Don’t nobody go nowhere.

Hello, my name is Mario Zorzi and I come from Verona, Italy. I share with you this project with which I am trying to document my father’s disease.

The title, “nelle mani del Padre” (in the hands of the Father), comes from the alteration of the catholic invocation “in the name of the Father”. The reason why I chose this title is because I’ve got, let’s say, an obsession with hands and gestures.

In 2007, at the age of 66, my father was diagnosed with alzheimer and even if this fact, immediately, did not change much our lives, in the following years the disease has took more and more space whithin my family. This made us having something like a 70 years old toddler who needs 24/7 care and attention, in every aspects of his life.

I started taking pictures of my dad back in 2011 and the beginning was as casual as natural: I thought this was a good thing to do. They were nothing but casual shoots took during the time I spent with him. I have never immagine to embark myself in a long term project, mostly because I was a “casual photographer” with no experience. I was simply pushed by the desire to catch on film some moments as well as by the fear, as the disease progresses, to forget how he was before it. As the time goes by the awareness of what I was doing grew, and with the help and support from my friends, I decided to try to do something more than taking random shoots, I decided to try create something more organic and complete. I embarked myself in my very first photographic project.

I am using the hands as a “tool”, a way to document the progression of the alzheimer as well as the everyday life of my father and my mother, who is the caregiver and copes with every kind of needs he has. I see this work as an investment for the future, because at this time, sometimes, I have difficulties in understanding and “digest” some events or sensations that I am living.

This is probably because me, and my mother, are very busy with the practical aspects of the disease, and do not have the time, the desire and even the courage to handle our emotions, or the psychological side of the disease.

I hope that all the pictures I am taking can help us, in the future, to better understand and process the emotions and the events we are now experiencing.

“In the hands of the Father” is shot mostly using a Canon AE1 with a 50mm (very few photos are taken with a Minox 35ML and a Polaroid Spectra) and the Fomapan 400. I also take care of the developing process.

Thanks for reading and if you want, drop me a line here mariozorzi@outlook.com

Ciao!

Mario Zorzi

Click on this link and send in your project/work: Get Featured. *I am looking for mainly projects, not individual images*

Oh, and click here to see a few of the photographers that have been on the site before https://www.japancamerahunter.com/?s=featured

Please submit your images (not website links)  1500px across. It would also be extremely appreciated too if they are numbered and sequenced appropriately.

There is currently a wait of around 3-4 months due to the level of submissions. Thanks.

Please make sure you come and comment, polite and constructive critique is welcome.
Thanks
JCH

9 comments on “Get Featured: Mario Zorzi”

Daniel Castelli February 5, 2018 at 5:57 am / Reply

I know from personal experience what it takes out of you to do a photo documentation of this type. Your work displays great love intertwined with compassion.

Your lens opens a window on a silent world.

Please make sure both you & your mother seek out people that can care for you; you both carry a heavy burden.

alex t. February 6, 2018 at 4:24 am / Reply

Hello Mario, best wishes to you from not so far away, from a small village near Innsbruck inTyrol, Austria. Thank you for your heart touching and sensitive pictures. I was in a quite similar position like you in the last five years. A short time after my mother died from cancer my father was diagnosed dementia. I lived together with him in the same house and cared for him till I almost broke down last year. He lives now in an old peoples home near by where he feels well and where they care him well. I still spend time with him almost every day which is good for both of us. It needed me about a year to recover from this extreme exhausting period in my life. Please take care of your self and of your mother!!! All the best for you both!!

Mario Zorzi February 6, 2018 at 8:44 pm / Reply

Daniel, thank you very much for your kind words, me and my mother really appreciate it!
    I will continue shooting as long as I can, for sure.

again thank you very much!

Mario

Mario Zorzi February 6, 2018 at 8:57 pm / Reply

Alex! thank you very much for taking the time to comment.
    I feel very close to you and your story. As you and me tried, caring a person with dementia is really tough and it requires all your energy. I am glad you are now getting better and, as you write, you can now spend time with him daily, it is now a better quality time because you can now focus only on enjoying the moment. I think this is very important not to make him feel left alone and give him human warmth, even with small gestures… The physical contact, grabbing a hand or giving a kiss, is important.

I thank you for your words… take care!

Mario

Mario Zorzi February 6, 2018 at 9:08 pm / Reply

Thank you JCH for featuring my project on your site!

Mario

Fernando Ruiz February 11, 2018 at 1:53 am / Reply

Mario, “complimenti” for your personal engagement on your father’s care. I have also a small bit of experience but I was far away for most of the time during mi father’s illness (parkinson). Your way of describing his personality and his actual experience, both by words and by images, is very touching, and it will sure help many others in the future. Keep caring, keep caring of you and your mother, and keep as long as possible witnessing it.

Mario Zorzi February 12, 2018 at 9:54 pm / Reply

Hello Ferndando! thank you very much for your message! I thank you for your kind words…
    I hope this can be a “tiny light” on the alzherimer’s.
    I will try to keep shooting!

Have a nice day!
    Mario

Alex Austin March 30, 2018 at 8:01 pm / Reply

My mother has dementia and I am actively caring for her so I know exactly where you are coming from. To document this illness is incredibly brave but it is so important to be reminded that when we deal with Alzheimers/dementia we are dealing with people and not just the disease. I salute you.

Mario May 24, 2018 at 4:32 pm / Reply

Hello alex! thank you for your words… yes you are right, the people come first!