Film News: We Wood Film!

Scroll down

Film News: We Wood Film!
We Wood Film! That is the slogan, and whilst you can probably make a number of jokes from the name, the idea itself is pretty cool. Compagnia-Imago is a photo lab in Italy, who have come up with a rather interesting idea. Wooden film canisters.

Compagnia-Imago have come up with an ingenious idea for film. And I think this is actually quite an important development. Their idea is simple, to make a re-useable film canister, that is not only high quality, but also good for the environment.

Film canisters have pretty much been of the same basic design and manufacture since their inception, metal and plastic, which means there are quite literally millions of them sitting in waste piles. So, what is there was a way to reduce this waste by making them bio-degradable?
This struck me recently as I was throwing away the plastic containers for film canisters. Japan is pretty good for re-cycling but there are some things they cannot recycle and a lot of the packaging for film is very hard to recycle. But if there was a way to lesson the impact, that would be a good thing, right?

Well these guys seem to have come up with a very good idea. Making the canisters out of wood, and natural polymers they are much more earth friendly. They also come with a screw cap, making it really easy to re-load film yourself, which saves money and the earth (and gives you a warm happy feeling inside).

At the moment the guys seem to be pretty small scale, but I think they have a really good idea and would love to see how it could be adopted into larger scale production.
I have heard moans in the past, mainly from the digital crowd, about how damaging film photography is on the environment (which is kind of laughable when you consider the rare-earth materials used in modern cameras), so this idea shows that we can reduce the impact and still use film.

I think there will need to be more development on this idea, for example labelling and DX-coding etc, but this is something that could be really good to see on the market.

The guys are quite small at the moment and are working on their first 1000 canisters. I believe they will be supplying them either empty or loaded with a range of black and white films.

You can learn more about them and sign up to their social media etc through their website:

Check them out and show your support.

10 comments on “Film News: We Wood Film!”

joseph saunders June 6, 2015 at 9:23 am / Reply

love this idea can’t wait to see it production. this might actual get me into bulk loading my film

steve June 6, 2015 at 1:48 pm / Reply

this is a really cool idea but I already reuse my 35mm canisters. I’m still keen to try these just ’cause they lookso cool

Wilhelm June 6, 2015 at 2:25 pm / Reply

They look pretty coarse to me. How do they reduce the risk of small pieces breaking off and getting stuck on the film / in the camera? Lacquer?

Adrian ward June 6, 2015 at 3:11 pm / Reply

are these 3d printed , I was reading about a wood based product that’s now 3d printable ,

oreo s. June 6, 2015 at 3:12 pm / Reply

But doesnt this mean more cutting of trees just to produce this?

eric demontigny June 6, 2015 at 11:26 pm / Reply

seeing this i miss the old ilford canisters from the 80’s.
    re-usable and in my memory they are still the best i used.
    Could refill these forever.
    (more reliable than the light seal on my r5 and om1)

eric demontigny June 6, 2015 at 11:29 pm / Reply

hi steve, what brand do you use, still looking for good ones.

John Botte August 12, 2015 at 10:56 am / Reply

Great Point Eric… I originally had 150-200 original HP5 canisters I’ve been using for the past 30+ Years. When the Photography Program was Massacred at the high school in my hometown, the “Forced to Retire, or Else” Photography teacher gave me a box with over 300 more…when I carefully examined them, I added another 260 to my stock. They’re Indestructible and very well Made. Kodak also made Excellent Heavy Duty Cans. When a small local Photo Store went out of business in the Mid-80’s, I bought 20 Boxes of 5 Cans-Per-Box of Kodachrome Cans for $30!!! Can You Believe it? Reloadable Kodachrome Cans!!! I can count on one hand how many Pre-Loaded rolls of film I’ve shot. I’ve always, and still load my own Film. I can’t even tell you how many Bulk Loaders I have…Along with 3 Large Refrigerators Stuffed with Film. I saw the writing on the wall and began stockpiling in the early 1990’s, when a roll of the original emulsion Tri-X was just over $2 and 100′ Loads were Less than $20. My favorite achievement was when I would make day-long tours to as many photo stores as possible and buy short dated or expired film for as low as .50cents per roll and as low as $15 for 100′ Loads

ZDP-189 August 21, 2015 at 6:00 pm / Reply

Seriously? This is real? Hmm, I’d want to test it out before I trust it.

ZuikoAddict August 21, 2015 at 7:14 pm / Reply

Oreo: Any product uses resources. This one appears to use: renewable materials that are less toxic than other options, more reliable to re-use and significantly more recyclable.

Eric & John: How I wish I had a big stash of the old Ilford cassettes! The plastic and metal options that can be bought are miserable.