MS-Optical Perar 28mm F/4 Super Triplet *UPDATE*

The MS-Optical Perar 28mm F/4 Super Triplet
The exceptionally special 28mm Perar lens is the latest release from Mr. Miyazaki at MS Optical in Japan. This lens will be made in limited quantities and it is available now…Version 2 is here!

For those of you in the know, there has been a very special lens maker in Japan who has been producing all sorts of fantastic handmade lenses for Leica mount cameras, this lens maker is Mr. Miyazaki and his company is MS-Optical. In recent time he became famous with collectors for his original 35mm Perar and for his lens conversions.
Now there is a new addition to the family. and what a fantastic and interesting little lens it is:

The Perar Super Triplet 28mm F/4 MC lens
This lens has been produced after over a year of research by Miyazaki san, and he has learned a lot about how to overcome problems that he faced with previous models of the perar he produced.

This is version 2 of the lens. There is one small but significant difference between version 1 and 2, the spelling mistake on the front of the lens has been corrected. This was something that niggled Miyazaki san, so he has got it right this time. This is going to make the collectors happy, as the original versions  have become more collectable through the mistake.

So, lets run through some specs for this lens for those who are interested in the technical aspects:

• Triplet Formula lens with high optical stability
  • Ultra compact and lightweight, only 45grams (55 grams with the hood)
  • Triplet design with 3 elements in 3 groups for refined sharpness
  • Premium multicoated lens with a 97% light transmission rate
  • 10 blade aperture diaphragm with smooth selection for a clean bokeh effect
  • Minimum focal distance of 0.8m
  • Unique exposed front aperture element

And here are some of the light transmission specifications for those in the know:

The lens comes with a hard screw-on hood, which doubles as protection for the front element. The hood accepts a 19mm filter.

This lens promises to be as unique and interesting as the previous perar lenses, with the added attraction of the wide 28mm. The lens is a native M-mount, so there is no need for an adapter. The lenses are not 6 bit encoded, as it is designed for general M-mount fittings as opposed to the Leica directly. This lens has been developed with the digital camera in mind and the sharpness will reflect that.

The lenses are available now, there is a waiting time for the lens. You can go directly to the shop and order. I will keep in touch with you as to the progress of your lens, but please be patient, they are handmade after all.

The lens is priced at 55,000 yen plus shipping (dependent on country)

Please note that I cannot select what serial number you get, it is the luck of the draw. And it is strictly first come first served. These lenses are going to sell very fast.

20 comments on “MS-Optical Perar 28mm F/4 Super Triplet *UPDATE*”

Glen February 3, 2012 at 9:20 am / Reply

Hello, a quick question on this lens, pardoning my ignorance: when you say this lens is “developed with the digital camera in mind”, what are the implications of using it on a film camera like an M6?

Bellamy February 3, 2012 at 9:29 am /

It is fine to use on the M6, in fact, I use it on my M6:) It was developed with the idea that most users will be digital, so the lens has been developed so that it will work with digital cameras.

Nate February 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm / Reply

This thing is sweet, I wish I could pick one up now because I know they will only skyrocket in price! Also, I love the fact that there is a spelling error.

sean February 4, 2012 at 12:41 am / Reply

hi, how does this lens focus? same as other m lens? or just by zone, scale focusing?

Bellamy February 4, 2012 at 7:43 am /

Same as any other lens. There is a focusing tab on the bottom portion of the lens.
      Thanks
      Bellamy

MTan February 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm / Reply

Just curious, but are there sample images out there taken with this lens? The idea of a hand-built lens is intriguing.

Carsten February 13, 2012 at 6:13 am / Reply

Hi! Nice. But why does the engraving say “TPIRLET”? It should be “TRIPLET”, shouldn’t it?

Bellamy February 13, 2012 at 8:33 am /

Good question. Miyazaki san made a mistake in the spelling on the first batch of 180 lenses. So they all say that. He has assured me that the next batch will be correct. I guess this just adds to the mystique and exclusivity of them :)

[…] Like I said, it is a specialty lens. It’s actually quite a good ‘street photography’ lens. And the weight- pffsh, what weight? I would buy it when I stock up on lenses the next time the cash flows. You can read more about specifications at Japan Camera Hunter’s site here. […]

[…] Shooting film in Germany is insanely expensive – maybe everywhere. A typical role of Ektar 100 sets you back around 6 Euros and Velvia 100 around 11 Euros. On top of this the cost for processing and scanning (between 13-17 Euros). So 36 shots set you back around 20 Euros… At the bottom of the post there are some more pics from my rolls… The first two were taken on Ektar 100 and the first one got some minor extra processing. The black-and-white ones where taken on XP2. Also I found an interesting book (Film Is Not Dead) about shooting film. New York. I am heading to New York for the weekend (until Tuesday actually). After some consideration I decided to only take the M6 and a couple of rolls with me. So no spray-and-pray this time… Japan camera hunter. Shooting film again seems to be quite a trend at the moment. In fact many of the blogs on my blog roll had recently a post about shooting film. One blog however that I found particularly interesting is the Japan Camera Hunter and my favorite on is this hand-made MS-Optical Perar 28mm F/4 Super Triplet lens: […]

Joan Cuenco June 7, 2012 at 6:30 am / Reply

Really beautiful work. I absolutely love the spelling mistake; what an inadvertent stroke of genius. Just shows how human Miyazaki-san really is! Truly handmade. Looking forward to seeing some sample photos if possible!

Ruhayat June 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm / Reply

Hi, Bellamy. I have a question.

I am planning to get this lens to complement my CV 35mm Color Skopar Pancake II. At the moment this and my M7 goes into a point-n-shoot belt pouch that I carry with me everywhere. So my question is: with the exposed aperture element, how safe would it be to just tuck the camera fitted with this lens into the pouch? Can the aperture blades be bent etc?

Ruhayat June 8, 2012 at 12:54 pm / Reply

To further clarify, currently I use the Color Skopar with no hood or lens cap and I like it that way because it makes for quick and easy shooting, getting in and out of the pouch.

Another question I have is: what would be the safe way to transport the M7 fitted with this lens?

Bellamy June 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm /

Hi there, thanks for the comment. I wouldn’t recommend carrying this lens without the lens hood as the blades would be exposed, you would have to be very careful. I usually carry mine with the lens hood on, just to keep it safe.
      Thanks
      Bellamy

Sean O'Brien / Hewlbane June 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm / Reply

Hi Bellamy,
    I notice some request/s for images taken with the MS-Optical Perar 28mm F/4 Super Triplet.

Here’s a link to some image I have taken, using this lens:

Hope this is OK with you.

Sean

Bellamy June 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm /

Thanks Sean. I am glad you are enjoying the lens.

daosonwang November 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm / Reply

Iam in chinaand I want to buy a len of MS-Optical Perar 28mm F/4 Super Triplet *UPDATE*, I do not know how to buy and if it is possible to post the len to china. If not possible, How can I buy it in Japan and tell me the shop address in detail and this page’s shop address I can not open the page.

Bellamy November 8, 2012 at 6:58 am /

I am sorry. The lens has sold out now. The only way to get one is e-bay or private sale.

Yevgeny November 8, 2012 at 5:58 am / Reply

How I can buy the 28mm. Dirk send me the PayPal refund for the lens and said that the lenses were sold out.

Is it available here??

How I cam buy the 28/4 and 50/1.1 ??

Thanks