In your bag No: 553, Giovanni Pascarella
Although Giovanni is not Japanese, some of his cameras are, and he is based in Japan. Come and have a look at this lovely setup from the port city of Yokohama.
My name is Giovanni and I live in Yokohama.
I moved to Japan in september 2010 to work as a researcher and since then I’ve been running my tumblr entitled “It’s just a ride” in which I am keeping a chronological diary of my experience.
In the picture you can see the cameras that I’ve been using lately:
1. Contax G2 with 45mm f/2 – It is the most recent addition to the band. A good friend gave it to me, it belonged to his father who passed away one week before I arrived in Japan. The camera was sitting in a closet, unused and without lens, with its shutter broken. I brought it back to life and I found a very nice Zeiss 45mm in a tiny camera shop in the town where I live (sorry Bellamy, but it was a real bargain :P!). Amazing camera. Silent, reliable, fast autofocus, it has a special way of not getting in the way while shooting.
2. Sony RX1 – Sharp, silent, compact. I wish autofocus was a bit faster but I can forgive her (for now).
3. Minolta X-700 with 50mm f/1.7 – This has been for many years my dad’s main camera so I am very proud to have it temporarily in my collection (I added “temporarily” in case my dad is reading this). It’s a real workhorse of a camera, and a very reliable one.
4. Polaroid SX-70 and Fujifilm Instax Mini 50s – These two guys occasionally slip in my bag and they’re always fun to use.
5. Gorillapod – A clever and versatile buddy, it saved my ass in many, many different situations.
6. Bag – Just a DIY camera bag…I bought it last year during a trip to Kyoto because I liked the size and the convenient number of pockets and I added some padding from Yodobashi Camera.
You can see my works here:
Thanks for sharing your bag and the story of how you got to have your cameras. My dad also gave me (I liberated) a Minolta, which he never saw again.
Check out the links and make sure you come and comment.
Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com. Send me a hi resolution image of the bag (please make sure it is horizontal) and its contents, with some details about yourself and what you shoot. Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here.
I would personally rate the X-700 as my favourite SLR body under $100 and one of the top 10 manual focus SLRs overall. The 55/1.2 is a great pairing. I actually shoot with both eyes open. I alse have a 50/1.4 and that makes it just about pocketable.
My first camera was a SX-70. Using it and seeing the pictures it took is one of my earliest memories. Today I have the same Piano Black Instax shown here. It’s not sharp, but contrast is good.
The RX1 is my current digital mainstay, but it’s not as sharp as the X100.
The remaining G2 I would love to own, but haven’t gotten round to yet. Tell us more about it and the G lenses, please!
Curious to hear about the other 9 in your Top Ten SLR camera! :)
Soon my friend, soon.
Thanks a lot Bellamy, I hope to meet you in the streets of Tokyo while shooting some day!
Beautiful set up and amazing collection of shots Giovanni. Keep it up with the good stuff!
Love your composition and eye!
Thanks a lot guys!
Love the G2 but if you think that it is silent you need to get your ears checked. Nice Bag!
You may be right, it depends on the second term of comparison…likely quieter than any SLR, 100% louder than any Leica!
hurray for another x-700!