Shit Leica fanboys say
Eric Kim and I watched this video by Kai and the guys at DigitalRev and it gave us a good laugh, so we decided to knock up our own list. Check it out.
Ahhh, Leica fanboys. I am one of them, and loads of people I know are, there is nothing wrong with that. But we should never take ourselves too seriously. Sometimes it is good to step back and have a bit of fun. Especially about camera wankery. So here is the ‘Shit Leica Fanboys Say’ list.
1. You only hate it because you can’t afford it
2. The red dot stands for quality (tapes over the red dot)
3. (For the M9) Well, it is not about the sensor, it is about the lenses
4. You don’t buy a system, you buy a lifestyle
5. All of the greats used Leica
6. Oh, is that a Voigtlander? Yeah, they are OK I guess *sneers*
7. No, your Zeiss is not as sharp as my Summicron
8. Leica is the pinnacle of quality in cameras
9. There is no substitute for good glass
10. Oh yours was made in Solms? Mine was made in Wetzlar *smug*
11. Well, Ken Rockwell gave this one a better review
12. Yeah, there were only 200 made of this one
13. Use it? Are you insane?
14. I would never use a digital Leica
15. You only shoot a film Leica because you cannot afford a digital Leica
16. Leica still make film cameras?
17. Yeah, it’s a Leica *smug smile*
18. No, this is not a lomo
19. Feel, that, go on feel how smooth that advance is. Right?
20. Oh my god, look how bright that viewfinder is
21. Well, Canada was a low point, but I guess you have to make do
22. OMG, have you seen the bokehzzz on my Noctilux, is is soooooo creamy
23. I had to get the sandpaper out to get the brassing just right
24. I know it is a lot, but the Black and white only sensor has film like tones
25. Oh is that a Luigi? Yeah, me too, the caramel leather is to die for
26. Yeah, this is a A La Carte, I wanted it to match my Porsche
Got some more? Then why don’t you add to the list in the comments below.
I got a good laugh from this too, LOL! Thanks Bellamy + Eric!
Nicely done – these are awesome!
“21. Well, Canada was a low point, but I guess you have to make do”
And then proceeds to pay more for an M5 than an M4
18. – my favourite. <3
27. 2011 – "Camera is for taking photos, not making videos." 2012 – "OMG M10 with video mode! Imagine that videos shot with my nocti!".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l21O77WcZE With a Leica camera. Anything can happen ;) hehehe
“You forgot to bring the hammer, oh don`t worry , Leica can take it”
“No autofocus ? Just put it in four meters and shoot. It will be in focus”
here is the future-proof link: http://youtu.be/ZtvX5pDxXiE?hd=1
Hahahahaha this made my day!
“Where did you buy your lens? .. Amazon? My lens was hand built by an ex telescope builder in a basement in Japan.”
“It so silent. And discreet.”
Great thread! A few quotes from the L-Camera Forum and the real world:
– “No one notices when you take a picture”
– “It’s completely silent”
– “It’s the ultimate camera, the best in the world”
– “Of course removing the baseplate makes total sense”
– “You want a window to see if there’s film in there? What’s wrong with you?”
– “No, the paint isn’t falling off. This is called brassing. It’s supposed to be like this.”
– “Yeah, I send all my lenses on a full CLA every year.”
– “Leica R-glass isn’t any good. M-lenses are the very best.”
– “Focus shift? No, that only happens with Voigtlander lenses.”
– “AE is total BS. Only losers use it. Can’t you read the light?”
– “Oh, you think the screen on a Canon S100 is better than the M9 screen? Why don’t you take pictures with that, then?”
– “You use the M9 screen? Chimping is for losers.”
– “The sensor in the M9 gives the most amazing colors. I don’t care what DxO says. Anywah, noise reduction is something you do on your computer.”
– “The ASPH version of that is totally sharp in the corners. Did you know it’s actually an APO lens as well?”
– “You see? *That’s* the Leica glow!”
– “You want to record movies with your Leica? Put your M-lenses on a GF1. An M is for photographs.”
– “I wish it didn’t have a screen and only let you take a limited number of pictures.”
– “Why does everyone want so many features? It’s perfect already!”
– “Sure, they have to fit all the electronics in there but I think it should be exactly the same size as an M6.”
– “I really wish I could wind the shutter manually. Then it’d be totally silent!”
FYI, I’ve had an M7, M8 and an M9. I’ve still got the M7 and am waiting for the new M. What’s the biggest real advantage to a Leica, for me? It’s the perfect ice breaker for street portraiture:
– “Excuse me, would it be okay if I took your picture? I’ll email you a copy if you want.”
– “Whoa, is that a Leica? Isn’t that like the ultimate camera?”
Example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/movito/6110342130/ I never could have captured that shot with my D3. They would have asked “Why are you taking our picture?”
I really appreciate the effort you’re putting into this blog, promoting film and more. Keep up the good work!
Nar, I prefer the Leitz red dot versus the Leica red dot as it’s more original.
A local quote…
Eric with his badass moustache
> 20. Oh my god, look how bright that viewfinder is
Must be talking about a Zeiss Ikon :rolleyes:
Or maybe Bessa R3M :)
Red dot stands for quality?!
Q. Where`s the red dot on M3 the pinnacle of Leica engineering?
A. Nowhere in the front . M3 was so good it didn`t need one.
P.S In fact there`re two of them. Very tiny ones on rewind crank.
Beside it, if you guys care for quality ladies go to India. There`re millions of them with red dot on! May a red dot shine on you all.
Leica owner and user too ( Tri-x 1250 ISO Diafine). Recently Ricoh GXR traitor to use digitally, in between other glass, my Noct 50/1.
“My summicron is incredibly sharp even wide open.”
“Your Zeiss is too sharp so it has got that clinical look”.
The Zeiss comment is my favorite.
“That [non-Leica] isn’t a true rangefinder, it’s a point-and-shoot with a few manual controls” (said while holding M9 set to auto with lens always on largest aperture.)
My tele-elmar is longer then yours tele-elmarit! hehe.
1)Take the Voigtlander off. You’re embarrassing me.
2)DAG CLAed it just this year.
3)I can’t wait to get it back from cameraleather hopefully by next year.
4)Doesn’t my M3 sound like a watch? Do you hear it?
5)Forces you to think about your shots.
6)I’ll stick with my M8. The files have that film like character.
7)Did you know that famous Che Guevera shot was with a Leica like the one I have?
8)Wanna see my posts on LFI?
9)Don’t move! The focusing has a long throw.
11)No! Look at the Christmas lights. THAT’S the Leica glow.
12)According to Steve Gandy, mine is the sought after Version 1.
13)I’ve never had problems with SanDisk.
“Autofocus? F8 and be there, mate”
“It’s all about the decisive moment”
“With this viewfinder, you can see what’s outside the frame!”
“It’s got the best focus system in the world, your eye!”
(watching a movie) “Look, it’s a Leica! Oh wait… it’s a Nikon.”
“Oh, you got the Canadian version, mine’s German” (They’re identical, you pretentious twit)
“You need to train yourself to know how far away your are from your subject, that way you can prefocus as you bring the camera to your eye. It’s much faster than autofocus”
forgot a couple:
“The 75 cron is too perfect, it doesn’t vignette like the 50 lux which has more character”
“My 60’s summicron is just as sharp at f/5.6 as the current version” (what 50mm isn’t sharp at f/5.6?)
“My ver. IV 35 cron is the King of Bokeh!” (maybe you should spend more time concentrating on what you’ve focussed on, rather than what’s out of focus in your photo)
Now you know what a day in my Used Dept. at work sounds like :)
What about that ‘over one million serial number, late production single stroke’ M3? :D
“My 2012 Leica M with 2012 Summicron-ASPH delivers the classic ‘Leica signature.'”
Amazing how ‘the signature’ seems to change each time Leica wants to sell you something.
“The M Monochrom was designed to reflect the impeccable standards of Henri Cartier-Bresson.”
Sure. The height of 2012 digital technology has something to do with HCB’s soft Zeiss lens, sloppy focusing, and Tri-X.
“I shoot the my black paint M3 because it doesn’t draw the eye” he says, as hoards of fan boys rush over asking to photograph it for their blog or even (gasp) touch it.
– from a guy who can’t afford Leica…
You made my day with this!!! :D
“Leica is not about cramming features into a soulless machine, but instead masterfully simplifying the connection between the photographer and its art.”
“The 1/125th shutter sound alone is worth buying an M6.”
(Answers with a strong German accent) “You have a Minolta CLE? Was ist das exactly?”
“I just finished converting my Chrome M6 into a lovely Panda M6.”
“The Buddha lugs on my M3 are the real deal.”
“I just lost my fifth film take up spool. Oh well eBay here we go again.”
“I guess this is still not the right diopter lens. Oh well eBay here we go again.”
“It’s actually titanium plating.”
“The metal hood and the meta cap were totally worth the extra $500.”
“My new 35 Summicron ASPH is nothing less than optical perfection.”
“The focus tab on Zeiss lenses is an insult to Leica users.”
“A Leica camera connects you with your subject.”
“Leica ist zweifelsohne die beste Kamera der Welt.”
I have a great one : That Eric Kim is a great Leica Photographer and I aspire to be like him.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about m4 red dot.