In your bag No: 1257 – Jota Barros

Scroll down

In your bag No: 1257, Jota Barros
Jota shares his bag with us today from delightfully sunny Spain. Not only has he got a cracking bag, with the bare minimum of gear. But he is also an award winner. Check this one out.

My name is Jota Barros, and I´m the photography-lover behind Rubixephoto.com. I live in Spain, in a small town called Allariz (you shouldn´t miss the opportunity to see this place in case you have it!)

I´ve always loved photography. I can remember clearly when I was a kid and waited for my father to bring home the magazines to look at the pictures and try to understand the world through them… I started taking photos with a Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 that I recently restored so I can shoot film again. Until then I shoot 100% digital, and what I like most is walking in the streets with my X100S to capture life as it happens.

I have my own blog (almost 4 years old) which won Spain´s Best Photography Blog Prize last year. I write about any subject related to Photography: book reviews, experiences and thoughts, great photographers… You can find a free online course, classic images analysis, and a book you can download for free as well! :)

Now, let´s go back to my bag.

First of all, I love bags that don´t look like photography bags; in the past I used to carry a Lowepro backpack, full of lenses, charger, and my old Canon 50D, but I finally learnt that, the greater the weight was, the less pictures I took. So, I bought a relatively small camera (Fuji X100S) and adapted a leather bag (a gift from my wife, many years ago) with that cover you see below the camera (it´s made of two mousepads), the camera goes inside the cover, and the cover inside any bag. ;)

Other things that are always with me: business cards with the url of the blog and my email address (you never know who you can meet, and you cannot expect them to remember your stuff, so make it easy), a red notebook (you should ALWAYS carry a notebook) with a pen, my documentation, a photography book (I´m always reading one to publish about it in the blog) and a big notebook to take notes, the keys… And, of course, one small bag with spare batteries (non original), one more memory card and a rubber band to fix the hyperfocal distance when the focus is set to MF. Look at the rubber bands around the batteries: I use them to know that they´re full of charge, when I take the battery off of the camera, I leave it without the band, son when I get home I know I have to charge that one. :)

Sometimes I go even lighter than that: just the camera hanging from my shoulder, and the red notebook, the small black bag and the business cards in the pockets.

So, I think that´s all. I would only add that we must keep in mind that we don´t need lots of equipment to enjoy photography, just find a camera that you feel confortable with, go out shooting and show others what you get.

If case you want to keep in touch, there you are some links (please come in and say hello!):
My blog: http://rubixephoto.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rubixephoto
FB: http://www.facebook.com/rubixephoto
YouTube (with street photography POV videos of my own): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmGOWBYtcTqTQoY6CZ_H6Ww

Hugs and the best light!

Jota Barros

Thanks for sharing your bag with us, Jota. Congratulations on the award. Well done.
Check out the links and please make sure you come and comment.

Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com.

Send me a hi resolution image of the bag. Optimum size is 1500 across. Please ensure there is a bag in the shot, unless you don’t use one. The more you can write about yourself the better, make it appealing and tell us a story.

Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here. Please understand that there is a long wait now as there is a backlog of submissions. Not all make the cut, so make sure yours is funny/interesting/quirky. And please make sure the shot is of good quality, as the ones that are not do not go up.

12 comments on “In your bag No: 1257 – Jota Barros”

Jota September 7, 2015 at 5:41 am / Reply

Thank you so muchos guys!

Jota

marcos September 7, 2015 at 2:27 pm / Reply

Nice bag, I love the mousepad padding ;) I’m also checking the blog, lots of interesting stuff there!

Greetings from Ourense!

Manousos September 8, 2015 at 8:42 pm / Reply

Really nice set!
    The blog seems very interesting but i have no luck with Spanish.
    I am curious about the trick with the rubber band for fixing the hyperfocal distance. Can you write 2-3 words about it?

bleu September 9, 2015 at 10:16 am / Reply

i wish i paid more attention in my Spanish class. it does make it more interesting to read the pictures though.
    thanks, bellamy and jota!

Jota September 15, 2015 at 3:06 pm / Reply

Hi there!

Sorry for the delay. I´ve been out of Spain (on holidays) with limited access to internet so I was not aware of the comments.

So, first of all, thank you for your answers!

Marcos, I live in Allariz but I go to Ourense very often so, if you want, we can drink a coffee one day, just connect through any of the resources I shared in the post. ;)

Manousos, I use the rubber once that I´ve adjusted the hyperfocal distance so it doesn´t change accidentally. For example, at f/8 I know it is about 3,3m, so I chose MF and adjust the focal distance at 3,3m and then, I use the rubber to let it fixed, until I go back to AF. If you need further details, please send me an email (jota(a)rubixephoto.com) :)

Thank you so much as well to Bleu! :)

Bestest.

Jota

Manousos September 16, 2015 at 6:09 pm / Reply

Thank you Jota! No worries about the rubber. You make it clear, so i think i’ll give it a try.

David September 19, 2015 at 12:56 am / Reply

Hi Jota, best regards from Santiago de Compostela.
    (otro físico/fotógrafo gallego)

Jota September 24, 2015 at 4:28 pm / Reply

Thank you all!
    David, I go to Compostela quite often, send me an email so that we can connect! :)

Cheers!

Jota

David September 24, 2015 at 10:35 pm / Reply

Of course, Jota, my email… david.fms.67@ gmail.com (edit, I put a space in there between the @ as otherwise you will literally be bombarded with spam)

Cheers!!!

David September 25, 2015 at 10:03 pm / Reply

Please, can you change my above email for this other?… david.fms.67.movil&gmail.com (with &=@)

Seema December 10, 2015 at 7:17 pm / Reply

Great bag. Checked out your blog. It looks beautiful but aaaahhhh I don’t speak Spanish ; )

mauro January 5, 2016 at 6:57 am / Reply

Hola “J” me acabo de hallar esta magnífica página,
    no soy de ir agarrando y marcando todas las páginas
    de fotos que encuentro, pero esta vale la pena mi amigo,
    si puedes date un tiempito y chequea mi humilde cuenta
    de instagram #mauroriesgo y dame tu opinión por favor.
    Un abrazo desde Ecuador, el centro del mundo.
    Mauro