The ONA x JCH bag is officially here

Scroll down

The ONA x JCH bag is officially here

Some of you keen types might have noticed that ONA and I debuted a bag at the recent Photokina Show in Cologne, Germany. So here it is in all of its glory.

The new ONA x JCH limited edition collaboration: The ONA x JCH Bowery camera bag.

It all started last year when ONA and I came up with the idea of making a bag together. Which was tremendously exciting. After a trip to NYC things really started to come together. Little did we realise it would take so long to get everything just right. But it was worth it as I think we have come up with a bag that is low key yet really solid in the design.
It is a Bowery, but not like you have ever seen before.

Features

The ONA x JCH Bowery features a number of modifications with the film street photographer in mind:

– Matte black solid brass hardware that will wear-in overtime to reveal the brass underneath, similar to the contact points of a vintage black paint camera.

– Three elastic “bandolier” loops to hold film canisters on the bag strap.

– Two interior slip pockets for filmcases, batteries, or other small accessories.

– A zippered back pocket for additional security.

– An all-black interior.

This bag is the result of over a year of working out the finer details with ONA. I wanted a shoulder bag, as I only carry one camera and a few items. But one that is simple, strong and geared towards the film shooter. The ONA Bowery was a great platform to start off with, but it needed some changes to suit my style.

I hope these little tweaks to the Bowery will really stand out and be beneficial for the users of the bag. I have had so many bags over the years, I wanted to incorporate my needs into a day bag for people that like to keep things simple.

“As longtime readers and followers of Japan Camera Hunter, we knew going in that we shared core values of community, excellence, and time-honored craft,” says ONA director of marketing & product development Bryan Mochizuki. “We also expected to take some time to get the details right by Bellamy’s standards, and were inspired to make a one-of-a-kind bag that would wear with time like a classic rangefinder.”

Only 230 individually-numbered units have been produced worldwide, available exclusively in the US through onabags.com and select retailers in the EU and Australia. A limited number of units are currently available for pre-sale on the ONA site Click here to order yours

The feedback we got at Photokina was overwhelmingly positive and people seem to really want to get their hands on one of these. Don’t worry if the ONA site has sold out, ask your ONA retailer if they are getting any and reserve yours with them.

Make sure you share your ONA x JCH bag on IG too, we would love to see them in the wild. Tag the bags with ONAXJCH and follow us:

ONA Instagram

Japancamerahunter Instagram

JCH

7 comments on “The ONA x JCH bag is officially here”

Johan van Huyssteen October 3, 2018 at 3:42 pm / Reply

Love the design.

Kelvin Ah Kian October 6, 2018 at 10:09 pm / Reply

A beauty indeed.

Carsten Beier October 8, 2018 at 3:03 am / Reply

Well, yes. I really do like the design of the Ona bag, and your special design is even better, Bellamy. What I do not understand about these bags in general is why they are not rainproof. Even when closed there still remains a huge hole on each side where the rain can get in. Even the Ona representative at Photokina (BTW the unfriendliest person I’ve met in a long time) admitted as much. Is it really that hard to correct this flaw?

Daniel Castelli October 9, 2018 at 11:43 pm / Reply

I’m between a rock and a hard place about the collaboration between you and Ona.
    I have much respect for you and your business. I’ve bought two m-mount lenses from you and they exceeded my expectations. You’ve become a respected voice advocating the continued use of film as a equal medium to digital. ONA produces beautiful bags, as much bag as fashion statement.
    But, this is where I become uncomfortable. Limited edition & short production run. I see more & more instances where film photography is becoming something to be seen doing and wearing. It’s elitist. People ‘dabble’ in the medium, seek out esoteric equipment, buy expensive bags, etc., all because it seems to be the ‘thing’ to do now. I regularly wander the streets of NYC with a (old) Leica M2 that I have owned for many, many years. I stop into galleries & image boutiques to see contemporary work, & I come away depressed. I just see superficial sameness. It’s rare to encounter a body of work with depth and meaning. I know I’ll get crap from this posting, and I’ll be accused of painting something with a very broad brush. But I just wonder where will film photography go from here after the silly names for film stock and cross processing and whatever else is out there becomes boring?
    So, after all this is said, I hope your business continues to grow and you still are a voice in the industry.
    But, it may be time for this second resurgence of film photography to move out of the stage of being elitist and a bit immature, and present itself as a serious visual medium.
    So folks, take you best shot.

Carlos October 10, 2018 at 1:25 am / Reply

You need noone to take a picture or carry a loved old whatever-trademark bag with you. do it and ignore the elitist or just money and marking cranking advertisement articles, especially when you`re on the site of a business advertising products they created and put a lot of thought in. ONA was expensive before JCH and will not get cheaper with a JCH stamp. But both are delivering great content/products, regardles of both parties attitudes good or whatever. Just take your time go out and click grap your pictures.
    M2 is great.

Carlos October 10, 2018 at 1:26 am / Reply

You need noone to take a picture or carry a loved old whatever-trademark bag with you. do it and ignore the elitist or just money and marketing cranking advertisement articles, especially when you`re on the site of a business advertising products they created and put a lot of thought in. ONA was expensive before JCH and will not get cheaper with a JCH stamp. But both are delivering great content/products, regardles of both parties attitudes good or whatever. Just take your time go out and click grap your pictures.
    M2 is great.

Ilkka October 15, 2018 at 11:43 am / Reply

Why black interior? Very hard to find things.