In your bag No: 1549 – Chris Roe

by Michael Nguyen /

In your bag No: 1549 – Chris Roe

Pockets are just small bags in your pants I guess, so Chris shows us how to go AMAP (as minimal as possible)

Hello, my name is Chris Roe from London U.K. I’ve been an avid reader of the ‘in your bag’ features and wanted to share my set up. Due to my hate of carrying more than is absolutely necessary this is more of a ‘in your pockets’ feature! Sometimes I well stretch to using a generic black backpack for longer trips but if I was venturing out into the city on a normal day my ‘daily carry’ would be the following.

– Olympus XA: My absolute favourite 35mm compact camera. Looks awesome and has sufficient manual control, coupled with a great little 2.8 zuiko! I find the rangefinder style focus a little challenging at times as the viewfinder is fairly small so usually just stick to infinity focus as this works just fine with the style of images I create.

– Film: To prevent over stuffing my pockets with film I never get round to shooting, I stick to a simple rule of one roll in the camera and one spare. This means I have 72 exposures which is more than enough and is just fine to carry.

– Anker 5000MAH USB charger: Perfect middle ground between portable and sufficient enough to keep my phone operational all day. I shoot video and do occasional live streams so despite owning an iPhone 7 Plus the battery drains quickly. The charger also keeps the next and final item in my carry topped up.

– Apple AirPods: Originally thought these were a little trivial when released but I found myself with ten sets of them when demand was high at the start of the year so the profits from selling 9 made these free! I have to say despite looking like: a man of the future/idiot (delete where appropriate) the lack of cable is great and the sound quality is good enough to mean I can fully zone out when I shoot! The little pill shaped case also fits in the small pocket inside the normal sized pocket (what is this actually for?) on my jeans and provides enough charge for 24 hours of playback.

Thank you to Bellamy for allowing me to share whats in my pockets! If you would like to see more of what I get up to, you can find me on Instagram – www.instagram.com/chrisjroe or at my website – www.chrisjroe.com

Keep shooting!

Thanks for showing us your pockets Chris. I wish i had more room in my tight hipster jeans ;)

Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com
Send me a high resolution image of the bag. Optimum size is 1500px across. Please ensure there is a bag in the shot, unless you don’t use one. The more you can write about yourself the better, make it appealing and tell us a story. Snapshots of your gear with a camera phone and no words will not be featured.
Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here. Please understand that there is a long wait now as there is a backlog of submissions. Not all make the cut, so make sure yours is funny/interesting/quirky. And please make sure the shot is of good quality, as the ones that are not do not go up.

10 comments on “In your bag No: 1549 – Chris Roe”

StephenJ February 6, 2018 at 3:53 pm / Reply

That’s great Chris, but you overloading yourself?

I just take the XA and a spare roll of pound shop Vista.

Plenty.

StephenJ February 6, 2018 at 3:56 pm / Reply

Sorry, there is an “aren’t” missing.

Taking minimalism to the nth.

Dan Castelli February 6, 2018 at 9:10 pm / Reply

When you photograph a subject, do they say “are you happy to see me or is that an Olympus XA in your pocket?”

David February 6, 2018 at 10:02 pm / Reply

What kind of strap is that?

Vernon February 7, 2018 at 2:26 am / Reply

Neither the site nor your Instagram seems to be working as far as the links are concerned.

Chrisjroe February 7, 2018 at 9:42 pm / Reply

Hello I had a bit of a destructive reset over the new year hence why the links are dead

Daniel Fjäll February 8, 2018 at 2:38 am / Reply

I read on his Twitter the Instragram account got deleted. Found some of his stuff on here: http://fragmentary.org/chris-roe/

David February 9, 2018 at 10:49 am / Reply

I figured Chris was going minimalist. The internet is just a flash in the pan anyway.

Alex February 17, 2018 at 1:39 am / Reply

Dear David,
    You should answer in a form of a question like What Is A Wrist STRAP. and to all you guys Stop Badging the guy OK, Do not be Bullies-then You not shooters, your photo techies the image is not important it is the what kind of a camera your using-I had run with Tumbler I spent 30 to 40 minutes as in submitting my photos, and when I press the photos to submit that it did not, I wrote to them, and still waiting for an answer. So I gave up on Tumbler if you like to see someone’s collection of Crap. My gear is 50 to 60 years. and my digital gear is not new either-It is what you capture to put it on film or card you have the image. Most web sites are not ready to handle a large enough of data due to that they are getting, and obtaining USED Servers from defunct websites so they start they own social media sites that these servers are just getting slow or dying, and need service, and also has anyone heard of a photographer name of Edward Steichen you know the one that became the Family of Man exhibit in the 1950’s? He said and I quote: “No Photographer IS AS GOOD as the Simplest CAMERA” Meaning whatever camera you use it is the shot that is Important OK remember that so whatever you use you have the shot-does not have to be the most expensive camera with all the bells, and whistles-and not to mention with all the buttons that you might not know in what they are, and then the scene is GONE. Right now I would say that the good honest site is Flicker in which I have my photos still there, but now I am going to upgrade it. Oh and Chris I’m glad that the person found your photos I love them you really have a true eye in what you shoot, and to let you know that I have place them in my favorite lists in my iPad-you are between Fame Japanese photographer Shinzo Meada in which he is the Ansel Adams of Japan, and Fame Rock Photographer, and friend Jim Marshall, and also I have an Olympus XA but mine is the XA1 but that lens on that model is Tact SHARP. So in ending guys, do not bad mouth a person just because in what he try to submit is that they did not like his shots or someone was playing button button at the website server, and deleted all his shots or both that and preview that they did not want to show their work, and these web sites that was told to try MAY not be up to THEIR Standards. Like Fragmentary.org I thank you for saving Chris’s work-you are also in my favorites list. And Chris Keep on Shooting.

Tina Kino March 7, 2018 at 2:48 pm / Reply

..that’s some great shots on there. Thanks for sharing the link!