Film News: Ektachrome is Back!

Scroll down

Film News: Etkachrome is Back!
Back in 2012 things were not looking so good on the film front. Kodak was in a spot of bother and their wonderful slide films were axed, to much gnashing and wailing of teeth. But now in 2017 things have changed and there has been some very good news.

It has been an exciting few months in the film world and now it just gets better. As 2017 starts, Kodak has made a huge announcement, by bringing back Ektachrome 100 film in 35mm!
It looks like at first it is going to be available in 35mm, but who knows, if there is a strong enough reaction then maybe we can see it in 120. Let’s hope so. I do know an awful lot of people who love and miss this film, so I am certain they are going to be buying as much as they can get their hands on.
It seems that Kodak has been listening to us lot banging on and on about film not being dead. There has been a strong resurgence in analogue lifestyles including film photography and Kodak has been on the ball enough to notice this and take advantage of the coverage that their 8mm received.

There is no word as to if this film has been put back into full production or if this is old stock, but either way, it is fantastic to see it coming back onto the market. If you never got the chance to shoot this film then now you have a second chance. And I would really recommend it, as it is stunning.
You can see some examples of NASA using the film over at thephoblographer:

Huge kudos to Kodak for listening and for bringing such goodwill to the film photography community. I really hope that we hear more good news from Kodak and other film companies in 2017. The film should be on the market by the latter part of 2017.

#shootfilm

JCH

11 comments on “Film News: Ektachrome is Back!”

Frank Lehnen January 7, 2017 at 8:10 pm / Reply

When I was young Kodachrome 64 was my goto Film. I was swearing by it. I never looked ad Fuji’s slide films and even Ektachrome got only a cursory use with me.

But now I’ll be more than happy to buy and shoot this great film!

Thanks Kodak!

Hogarth Ferguson January 8, 2017 at 4:30 am / Reply

This is one of my favorite films and this makes me so happy, as I shoot only 120/220 I am going to buy a 35mm just so that I can buy this film and show my support.

Looking at their release, this is a brand news production run, by the way, not old stock.

Max Heimann January 8, 2017 at 6:07 am / Reply

Love the news, very much looking forward to shooting Ektachrome. Hopefully in 120 aswell!

What will it take for Fuji to wake up?

wayne January 8, 2017 at 7:02 am / Reply

GOOD

Dan Castelli January 8, 2017 at 8:32 am / Reply

Good news.
    BTW, I just finished a great book: “The Revenge of Analog -Real Things and Why They Matter” by David Sax. Give it a read, it’s not a handbook for becoming a Luddite, but explores how film, vinyl records, etc. not only have survived, but how they’re flourishing. It offers an insight as to why, in this age of digital, we still need analog.

Eric January 9, 2017 at 6:34 pm / Reply

Good news, I ve used the G one, and it is a perfect film for people.

jason Berge January 10, 2017 at 6:51 am / Reply

Looks like quite the film renaissance. Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

120 please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

I remember shooting 120 Kodachrome in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Even then, due to the turn around time to send it off to get developed, it was not practical to use commercially. BUT!!!!! I still used it for personal work and art projects where there was an extended deadline, because the results were worth it.

With the resurgence of “film” photography in these spaces, and the abundance of cheap secondhand medium format gear, it is a match made in heaven.

M January 11, 2017 at 12:26 am / Reply

At Petapixel (https://petapixel.com/2017/01/09/kodak-investigating-take-bring-back-kodachrome/), there’s an interview with one of the Kodak chiefs that they’re even considering bringing back Kodachrome (!!!!!!)

Hugh January 17, 2017 at 4:08 pm / Reply

Hi Bellamy, you made a typo it’s Ektachrome not “Etkachrome” :)

Bellamy January 17, 2017 at 4:36 pm /

Lol oops.

amigo toro January 18, 2017 at 2:04 am / Reply

Nice to hear some good news on the film front!