In your bag No: 1361 – João Medeiros

Scroll down

In your bag No: 1361, João Medeiros
Joao was on the site an absolute age ago. And now he is back, with a camera that is truly one of the greats. It is a crying shame if there truly is no option for film for this in the future, as the Konica Instant Press is a legend of a camera.

It’s been a while since my first submission on your site.

Unfortunately for us 2016 marks the end of a truly unique format, Polaroid peel apart.

We all knew this was going to happen, still, some still hope that FujiFilm saw value on the petitions for both the already dead but still amazing FP-3000b and the current FP100c and silk.

Where’s the Film Fuji? I know that it’s very expensive to produce and maintain such products, but if Impossible Project does it why can’t Fuji invest in a more serious Instax camera and offer us an alternative to FP3000b and FP100c?

Anyway, last year I still managed to do a collective exhibition with FP3000b in tribute of Ricca’s 100 years anniversary, one of the most iconic XX century Porto’s architects. Most of us decided to work with film from collodion to Pinhole because we can.

Not because it’s better or superior, but because we have the option and it’s different. Now that Fuji officially ended peel apart, I’m afraid that my rare Konica Instant Press will go the dinosaur way and I’m just sad about it. It’s been and is my all time favorite camera and I was still using it in weddings offering unique portraits on the spot. Progress is a hard path, and sometimes a sad one. Everything Polaroid related seems to have a bitter end…

Maybe now FujiFilm will change to Fuji.

Hope you like this “Bag”.

Filson McCurry Tote, this is my main bag nowadays, it’s an absolute bargain for what it offers. Love it.

Konica Instant Press: I recover this one with your help and others in 2013, information is indeed Power and that was the case with this exotic bird.

Fuji FP3000b and FP100C – FP3000b will remain my favorite film, it was unique, especially when combined with a Polaroid 185/190 or the Konica.

Some Magnum related books…..

This is still one of my favorite lists:

…you should do more. :)

I loved your Pin “prize” but missed it. That only shows the importance of JCH.

I love your Zeiss video interviews, great insight, I would love to read or see more videos or articles about lenses and manufactures, something MS-Optical or Voigtlander? :)

Thanks for being here.

Best wishes Bellamy.

João from Porto, Portugal.

Thanks for sharing your bag with us again, Joao. I really hope you get the most from that beautiful camera before the film is finished.
Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on

Send me a high resolution image of the bag. Optimum size is 1500px across. Please ensure there is a bag in the shot, unless you don’t use one. The more you can write about yourself the better, make it appealing and tell us a story. Snapshots of your gear with a camera phone and no words will not be featured.

Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here. Please understand that there is a long wait now as there is a backlog of submissions. Not all make the cut, so make sure yours is funny/interesting/quirky. And please make sure the shot is of good quality, as the ones that are not do not go up.

7 comments on “In your bag No: 1361 – João Medeiros”

Tina Kino March 31, 2016 at 5:39 pm / Reply

…hope you find some more film to be able to shoot that nice camera for a while…

Do you have a website apart from that tumblr that shows mostly your wedding photography?

That Filson bag looks realy nice, would not call it a bargain at $250 though.. ;)

Ian Mccormick April 1, 2016 at 1:42 am / Reply

Great bag….I only discovered peel apart film a few weeks ago, and by discovered I mean through youtube vids. It looked awesome and very much a ” I need to shoot this ” moment for me, I was heart broken to find its no more.

Its such a sad feeling that you own a great camera but have no way of experiencing it in the future.

I used to love all things tech and anticipating the next new ” Thing ” but since I started film photography all I want is the old stuff back again…unfortunately its disappearing slowly in front of me.

João Medeiros April 1, 2016 at 5:30 am / Reply

…I still have a pack, but here in Europe the prices skyrocketed to triple. Quite obscene.
    Unfortunately no, but thank you for showing interest Tina, unfortunately I have to focus on my current work.
    The Filson bag was quite a bargain, I bought it on ebay for 190$…. a bargain when compared to some offerings in the market by other brands that also use the same materials, but I agree with you these things are expensive.

João Medeiros April 1, 2016 at 5:34 am / Reply

Indeed… things are changing fast. Faster than most of us would expect.
    But at the same time you see a comeback thanks to social media and digital scanning, or using the “old” stuff in the latest digital cameras.
    I’m hoping IP or even Fuji bring something in the future, it’s a different camera. A favorite of Danny Clinch, you should check his polaroid work.

Cheyenne Morrison April 1, 2016 at 11:59 am / Reply

Hi João, Wow classy set up, so envous of that camera! The model – turned photographer – Helena Christensen uses one with great skill.

All is not lost (yet). Florian “Doc” Kaps who started Impossible went to Tokyo to negotiate with Fuji to purchase the machines. Negotiations are happening, so the story is not over for now.

Be thankful that Fuji has been producing peel apart. My main tool is Polaroid 669 which ceased production in 2009. It still works, and I have a fridg full. I’m sure there are big stockpiles of Fuji around the world, you’ll just have to pay through the nose to get it.

Radu Serbanescu April 1, 2016 at 9:18 pm / Reply

I like your wedding images. Do you ever shoot film on wedding assignments, except the Konica?

I noticed that you have the Magnum Contact Sheets book. Is that the second edition? Do you know if the content is the same as in the initial one? I saw that the second edition is still available to buy and would love to get my hands on one.

Thanks and all the best!

João Medeiros April 2, 2016 at 11:50 pm / Reply

Cheyenne Morrison I know, she’s great. There’s a wonderful interview with her and the late Ellen Mark in Capture by Marl Seliger.

Radu I did, but for my specific kind of work and style it was not the best choice, so now I’m shooting exclusively in digital with M lenses on Sony A7 bodies.
    I have the first edition, huge and heavy, the newer edition seem more practical something you could really carry. I think there’s no difference beside the size/weight difference. Get it! Buy Books! :)

Best wishes, thank you!