In your bag No: 1289 – Jonathan Alaerts

Scroll down

In your bag No: 1289, Jonathan Alaerts
Yesterday we were in Singapore, now we scoot over to Belgium. Globetrotting through peoples bags. Cool or what? Jonathan has a stunner of a bag for us, with a super sexy Leica M4-P. Makes me want one…

I’m Jonathan Alaerts and I’m a Belgium photographer who is aspiring to be a pro-photographer.

My ‘commercial gear’ is digital and Fujifilm, but for my personal work I exclusively use Leica film camera’s. As I already spend way to much time behind my computer editing my work, my personal work is pure darkroom magic :-).

In my bag:

· Leica M2 with the Zeiss ZM 35mm F2.0 fixed to it. 80% of my pictures are made with this set-up

· Box of b&w film. Most is bulkrolled HP5+ (But I use about everything from Fomapan, Kodak, Rollei and Ilford)

· Voigtlander hotshoe lightmeter. Almost never use it.

· Moleskin notebook

· Leica M4-P with Zeiss ZM 28MM F2.8. The M4-p has 28mm framelines, but I do like the external 28mm Voigtlander viewfinder for fast framing

· Voigtlander 15mm F4.5, a lovely but sometimes hard to use piece of gear

My bag is a cheaper Billingham-like alternative from Gurubags.

I’ve added a contactsheet and a silvergelatine print to my second shot.

You can check out my pictures at my Instagram account:

Kind regards
Jonathan Alaerts

Thanks for sharing your bag with us, Jonathan. I love that M4-P. Such an underrated camera.
Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com.

Send me a hi resolution image of the bag. Optimum size is 1500 across. Please ensure there is a bag in the shot, unless you don’t use one. The more you can write about yourself the better, make it appealing and tell us a story.

Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here. Please understand that there is a long wait now as there is a backlog of submissions. Not all make the cut, so make sure yours is funny/interesting/quirky. And please make sure the shot is of good quality, as the ones that are not do not go up.

8 comments on “In your bag No: 1289 – Jonathan Alaerts”

jim November 4, 2015 at 10:21 pm / Reply

Seeing your bulk rolled film in the film tin container brings back warm memories.

Horace November 5, 2015 at 12:23 am / Reply

I’ve never seen an M4-P brassed so much, I thought they were all black chrome?

Daniel F November 5, 2015 at 4:41 am / Reply

Me neither. You got to wear down the first layer because the brass is hidden underneath the chrome! Only later models were out of zink going into production of the M6. Recognized by a single flash port and a flush viewfinder. Serial 165+ if I’m not mistaken.

Jim November 6, 2015 at 7:15 am / Reply

Wow, that M4-P is beautifully worn. I completely understand using the external viewfinder; the 28mm internal is tricky to use. Nice also to see the 15mm in play. I will admit though, that the 28/35 is quite a compressed range.. I would have expected something like 12/28/40 for a more flexible set up; it’s interesting to see this and I’m curious why these focal lengths were chosen.

Jonathan November 8, 2015 at 2:12 am / Reply

@bellamy thank you for featuring me!&

Hey Jim,

I have a Zeiss ZM 50 f2.0, 35 f2.0, 28 f2.8, 21 f2.8(new)and the 15mm Voigtlander.

The 50 is already really long for my eye. So I don’t use it that often. The 28mm does a lot of streetshooting and the 35 people and family. The 21 is new so don’t know yet… And the 15 is great for playing around…

The m4-p is with me, all the time. Rain, snow, swimming (Yeah really), cycling, work, streetshooting…
    It was my first and what I could afford at that point. It ain’t a new camera and it actaully needs an CLA, but I can’t really mis it.

Lamborelle November 10, 2015 at 3:42 am / Reply

Hi Jonathan,

I’m also from Belgium (Liège) and just acquired a leica m4. I own a Billingham Hadley Small but I have to say that your bag seems very nice. What do you think about it ? I didn’t find any review on it.

I’m also enjoying your instagram feed. Very nice work there.

Jonathan November 11, 2015 at 10:21 pm / Reply

Hey Lamborelle,

A good choice!

Actually I’m in Liege tomorrow :-)

Looking for a lens? My Zeiss zm 50 f2.0 is up for sale!

Are you on instagram already? Give me a DM if you are.

Kind regards
    Jonathan

Lamborelle (@nico_lambo on instagram) November 25, 2015 at 6:53 am / Reply

Hey Jonathan,
    Too bad, i didn’t check this page sooner. I just began to follow you on instagram.
    My account is @nico_lambo.
    Nicolas