In your bag No: 1283 – Maurits Bollen

Scroll down

In your bag No: 1283, Maurits Bollen
Maurits’ last bag was pretty epic, carrying some lovely gear. Well this time he is outdoing himself, with not one, but two bags. Both of them jammed with cameras. Normally I would say these are just a collection, but I can really see all of them being used.

Hi Bellamy, while making an inventory of what to bring on my next camping trip I reproduced two of my favourite bags. It is one bag actually, but with a different content.

My name is Maurits Bollen and I am from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I am currently working on a book combining landscapes and portraits. In 2 to 3 years time I hope to have it published. Almost all my images are made on film.

This is my do-it-all bag, an Officine Panerai tote bag that originally came with a watch. It is huge inside, eaily swallowing a large Domke bag insert and some wraps so the cameras do not rattle around. When going on short camping trips, I either fill it with pocket cams or with toy cams. Some cameras are in there twice, one loaded with colour film the other with black and white.

Pocket cameras: Olympus AF-1, Trip 35, Mju I and Mju II, Ricoh GR1s and GRDII, Recesky 35mm TLR, ImageTech 3D, Nikon L35AF (my favourite) and L35AF2.

Toy cameras: Classic Diana’s, a Dana, Recesky TLR, Sharan pinhole, Holga 120, Zero Image pinhole and (my favourite) a Pouva Start.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a 4×5” Wanderlust Travelwide pinhole camera. I had a Harman/Ilford 4×5” pinhole, but unfortunately it was too good. The tripod is a super light carbon fibre Sirui T-025X. I always bring an Edding marker pen and some sticker material to change DX-codes on the film cartridges.

This is my website:

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Maurits

Thanks for coming back to us, Maurits. That is a simply amazing amount of cameras. You are stronger than I.
Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on

Send me a hi resolution image of the bag. Optimum size is 1500 across. Please ensure there is a bag in the shot, unless you don’t use one. The more you can write about yourself the better, make it appealing and tell us a story.

Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here. Please understand that there is a long wait now as there is a backlog of submissions. Not all make the cut, so make sure yours is funny/interesting/quirky. And please make sure the shot is of good quality, as the ones that are not do not go up.

14 comments on “In your bag No: 1283 – Maurits Bollen”

luca October 24, 2015 at 8:45 pm / Reply

Nice but sorry if I repeat again; don’t understand why sometimes there’s some collectors want broken the rules:
    it is “in My bag” NOT “in my shelf”, OR “my collection”, is it so difficult respect the guideline?

Maurits Bollen October 24, 2015 at 11:51 pm / Reply

Hi Luca, I see your point. But this is almost exactly what I took with me to Croatia last camping trip. These camera’s are so cheap I can pick and choose a few and leave the rest in my tent. No worries about someone stealing a camera. I tried camping with a Mamiya 7ii and a large format Toyo several times. Not fun I say, you have to bring these cameras with you all the time. The Nikon’s shown above cost me 5 euro (together), the Recesky 6 (including shipping from China). It broke after rewinding the first film, so I stored the camera in the camping fridge. Both Mju II’s are semi-broken, one has a serious, but charming light leak and the other one overlaps every third negative. The other cameras I found on Kingsday for next to nothing. Who cares?

Except for the iPhone and the GRII (that I always carry on me) the most expensive item is the fresh CR3A battery.

matso October 25, 2015 at 2:59 am / Reply

Sorry but have you seen his website ? these cameras are getting used, and very well : This is mindblowing work!

Luca October 25, 2015 at 12:44 pm / Reply

Hi Matso l get your point so may be l don’t have clear the topic of the thread.
    For what l understand no matter if some camera are used or not, btw if someone go out with 10 different camera in his bag fine.
    So better also if you try understand the difference between “my bag” and “my used camera on my shelf” and after you have clear the meaning of my post.
    lt is not mindblowing work, it is respect of the space that Bellamy offer to everybody.

Lewy October 25, 2015 at 3:31 pm / Reply

Hi follow camera geek’s,
    This does seem to be a holiday in your bag Post.
    But by reading your post, in your bag should just be your lovely Rjcoh gr11 and the phone,
    Because that is what you Carry every day.
    Less is more!!

Daniel October 25, 2015 at 5:00 pm / Reply

Really nice stuff on your website.

Tina Kino October 25, 2015 at 6:58 pm / Reply

Hey Maurits,

very nice work on your site; one can definately see you are enloying photography!
    Thanks for sharing. Do you have a tumblr / flickr one can follow?

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Maurits Bollen October 26, 2015 at 1:19 am / Reply

Tina, Matso, Daniel, Lewy and Luca thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated!

Luca, my tent has no shelf :-) The bag filled with the pocket cameras was what I had with me. Another example. At an event a while back I brought the same bag filled with even more toy cams than pictured above, all loaded with fresh film. I handed them out to several guests and collected the cameras with exposed film at the end of the party. In my eyes that is a real camera bag. Be a bit more open minded, will ya?

@Tina. I used to, lots of images and articles on cargocollective. A bit too much work to my liking to keep maintained. But I am thinking of reviving it.

AHC McDonald October 26, 2015 at 12:20 pm / Reply

Some lovely images.

Jesse October 26, 2015 at 1:05 pm / Reply

Really beautiful work on your site Maurits

Tina Kino October 26, 2015 at 3:59 pm / Reply

Thanks for the reply Maurits – just had another look on your things and now feel the urge to do pinholes again!
    : ]

Tina Kino October 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm / Reply

@ Lewy & Luca – it’s Bellamy who’s chosing whose bags appear here, so no need to point fingers and tell people to “respect guidelines” etc. don’t you think?

Paul R. October 26, 2015 at 6:53 pm / Reply

Maurits, I love many of the images on your website, including the experimental printings; but my favourites are the images of the buildings in Liège. Many thanks.

Shaun Hall December 2, 2015 at 4:03 pm / Reply

A very interesting bag, thanks for sharing! I always find it refreshing to find a bag that does not have a red dot in it, you are obviously pasionate about photography and I look forward to seeing your photos.