In your bag No: 1122 – Maurits Bollen

In your bag 1122, Maurits Bollen
Maurits has a very cool bag for us all today. It is not often you see a bag with 18th century lenses inside. Check it out.

My name is Maurits Bollen and I am from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I am in my mid-fourties. Instead of buying a motorcycle to remedy an upcoming mid-life crisis, I got accepted to the Amsterdam Photo Academy. Graduated there last year. I am currently working on a book combining landscapes and portraits. In 2 to 3 years time I hope to have it published. Almost all my images are made on film, mostly Adox CHS Art.

This is my large format photography bag, a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60. It all fits easily on my bicycle, together with a set of portable studio flashes, stands and umbrella’s. I also have a medium format bag, a 35mm bag and a hyper portable bag. Which one I take all depends on my mood and the assignment.

In front of the ThinkTank is my Toyo-Field 45AII 4×5 inch view camera with two French portrait lenses from the late 1800’s. The bigger one is a Hermagis 240mm Petzval and the one on the camera is 150mm Hermagis Petzval lens. No new Lomo lenses for me.
I use an MGM -front-of-the-lens shutter that only has bulb, flash sync and 1/25th second settings. The Minolta spotmeter is superfluous, really. I make a point of never bringer more than 6 film holders with me. These are also from Toyo and loaded with Adox film. The focusing loupe is made by Horseman. The tripod is extremely light carbon and made by Feisol with a Manfrotto geared head.
My trusted American Apparel hoodie doubles as a dark cloth. The 35mm Pentax MX I use for taking quick analog images in the same style as the 4×5’s. On it is a Hermagis 105mm Petzval lens taken off a projector and attached to Pentax m42 bellows. The canisters contain Foma 200 35mm film.

This is my website: http://www.mauritsbollen.com

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Maurits

Thanks for sharing your bag with us, Maurits. That is really cool.
Check it out and make sure you come and comment.

Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com. Send me a hi resolution image of the bag. Optimum size is 620×473. Please ensure there is a bag in the shot, unless you don’t use one. The more you can write about yourself the better, make it appealing and tell us a story. Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here. Please understand that there is a long wait now as there is a backlog of submissions. Not all make the cut, so make sure yours is funny/interesting/quirky. And please make sure the shot is of good quality, as the ones that are not do not go up.

10 comments on “In your bag No: 1122 – Maurits Bollen”

Dan Castelli February 11, 2015 at 8:07 pm / Reply

Dear Mr. Bollen,

Quite a kit. It brings me back to the early 1970’s; I was friends with a couple of guys who worked in the zone system. They had highly technical set-ups, and hauled their stuff in a Jeep.

The fact you fit this bag on your bicycle is impressive. I wish you continued good luck in your photo journey.

Maurits February 12, 2015 at 3:48 am /

Thank you, Dan. In Amsterdam a bicycle is the fastest (and of course cheapest) way to go somewhere. I have a Typical Dutch cargo bike, you wouldn’t believe what goes on there.

Cheers, Maurits

Carlos February 12, 2015 at 12:21 am / Reply

Great set, even better I like your website showing an excellent work and in deep knowledge of the tools used.
    My understanding is now that the lomo petzval is based on the search for a medium level wrong assembly of the lense elements, instead of as you presented as #6 type correct assembly. The swirl is actually a petzval bad assembly mistake, if I correctly interprete your explanations.
    Like to hear more of these kinds of vintage school knowledge.
    Bellamy, please create some more vintage space here. Great stuff.
    Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Carlos.
    p.s.: been to the Amsterdam location meeting Jeroen Helmink, Eric Kim and Thomas Leuthard. Lots of fun, but street, not vintage.

Maurits February 12, 2015 at 3:58 am /

Hi Carlos, thank you!

Yeah that is what I believe too. Petzval lenses have a relatively small image circle compared to more modern lenses. So to keep the periferal swirling effect liked by many and cover a full frame image area at the same time, I am guessing the Lomo designers changed the original optical formula a bit. I am good with that. Lomo surely had a huge success with their Kickstarter project.

Cheers, Maurits

Hub February 12, 2015 at 10:28 am / Reply

I think you meant 19th century if the lens is from the late 1800s.

Cool nonetheless

Bellamy February 13, 2015 at 8:38 am /

You are correct, I did. Shows I have been in Japan too long…

John February 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm / Reply

Really nice work! Thanks for sharing it.

Nadeem February 12, 2015 at 8:41 pm / Reply

Beautiful bag Mr Bollen! I am very impressed for the passion that you have for what you do.
    Wishing you all the best in publishing your book!

Great post!

All the best

Nadeem

Maurits February 13, 2015 at 1:08 am /

Thank you Nadeem!

All the best from Amsterdam, Maurits

Fourstroker February 20, 2015 at 4:54 am / Reply

What a camera setup. Nice to see so beautiful old mechanic. Unbelievable, what the engineers in this old days were able to build.