Get Featured: Jesse Struyvelt

Get Featured: Jesse Struyvelt
Jesse is the first of the ‘get featured’ series. And what a way to start, images of a beautiful woman. Come and check out Jesse’s work.

Hi guys and girls. I’m Jesse, a 21 year old Belgian student who stumbled into photography about a year ago. Mainly shot digital until 2014 with a Leica M8 and shooting models.

Tried many different camera’s, but kept going back to the Leica’s. After seeing much more of film I have always wanted to shoot film only.
I’m not really working on a project, except for The Film Foundation and finding my creative voice.

As much as I tried to, it was a very though process to go through. In 2014 I finally left the digital scene and began shooting film. The main reason what convinced me was first my friends and secondly the start of “The Film Foundation”.
Shot 06.jpg & 07.jpg are digital with the Leica M8 all the rest is done on my M6. Still need to get a load of film developed so can’t give more film shots of my modelling work.

Felt I needed something to hold on to, so I started this open platform, for everyone that shoots film and wants to get in touch with each other. The project gave me a huge boost to continue what I was aiming for.

Secondly, and more important. We held a meeting here in Belgium to bring film shooters together. And it actually did what it should have done, stimulate people on shooting film. Wrote an article about “The leap to film photography” which you can find here:

On the downside I feel it’s hard to run these things international, I’m focusing mainly in Belgium, but I’m busy on the new website which will be an easy sharing platform for all kinds of stuff. Articles, experiences, portfolio’s ..

My other project is a lifetime project which every artist in this world goes trough and it’s finding my creative voice in my work. What I know is where about my aim is. But how to get there, what will change and how will I be different from now until then is the hardest part to estimate. The direction is ahead of me and hopefully the rest will follow.

For the people who are interested in my work. You can find my portfolio on, follow me on instagram @jessestr or pop a like on Facebook at

Big thanks to Bellamy for all his effort!

Thanks for sharing your work, Jesse. Keep it up.

Come on, share with us what you have and get yourself featured.
Click on this link and send in your project/work: Get Featured. *I am looking for mainly projects, not individual images*
Oh, and click here to see a few of the photographers that have been on the site before

Please make sure you come and comment, polite and constructive critique is welcome.

23 comments on “Get Featured: Jesse Struyvelt”

Tom April 20, 2014 at 9:17 pm / Reply

Shots of models are just dull and don’t challenge or inspire me. Take a hot girl and point an m8 at her, meh. No offence to Jesse but its just a Facebook profile pic/ teenagers wet dream machine

Stephen Zane April 21, 2014 at 5:11 am /

I find Jesse’s work to have vision, taste and a real sense of direction. Very classy stuff.

I agree that there are a lot of terribly boring shots of pretty girls.
      These aren’t at all examples of that.
      Saying “no offence” and then saying something completely derisive is really bad form.

It’s important to recognized the difference between differing tastes and plain and simple bad work.

Andrew Yates April 23, 2014 at 12:08 am /

Tom’s comments may be a bit on the aggressive side but he is right about the ‘Take a hot girl and point an m8 at her, meh.’

My opinion is these photos are not very strong both in terms of composition (e.g. hands getting cut off, lines coming out of the models’ heads, etc.) and story-telling (don’t know what example to give because I don’t get any story, emotion)

Jesse Struyvelt April 20, 2014 at 9:49 pm / Reply

Tom, there is so much more to shooting models than just a ‘hot girl
    . These are all models that work for modelling agencies.

Trying to tell a story, give a feel or show emotions to someone are my main goal. I feel this is best done with girls, as they inspire me. I think it’s a very limited perspective you are looking at. I don’t shoot anyone, I pick them kn a careful way so they fit my work.

ZDP-189 April 24, 2014 at 5:47 pm /

Yes, I much prefer to work with experienced agency models that require less coaching. One can save money by taking on raw, unrepresented talent, but (1) it’s really hard work and slow while daylight’s wasting; and (2) there is a higher probability of a no-show or late arrival. That said, I know some amateur models that have been real troopers, willing to get down in a cold ocean and pretend that it’s mid-summer.

And regardless of your process, I enjoyed your images.

Jesse Struyvelt April 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm /

Exactly, most of the time it’s a no-show when not working with agency models. There is always something wrong the girls. Never had problems with agency models.

Thanks for the comment! Appreciate it!

ZDP-189 April 20, 2014 at 10:00 pm / Reply

Who’s the model?

Jesse Struyvelt April 20, 2014 at 10:19 pm / Reply

Which one? Two of them are from Dominique Models (Brussels) and one is from Jackie Lee Antwerp.

ZDP-189 April 24, 2014 at 5:42 pm /

Thanks! LOL, I couldn’t tell there were two. Maybe I have been living in Asia too long.

Jesse Struyvelt April 25, 2014 at 8:54 pm /

Haha, actually there are 4 models showing here. The one with the legs at the window is not a prof model. Was one of my very first shots with the M8.

Martyn Capie April 21, 2014 at 12:06 am / Reply

Hi Jesse,
    Really nice set of images, I particularly like the third image down. I like the symmetry. Keep up the good work!

InFrame April 21, 2014 at 7:03 am / Reply

I don’t understand.. Talks about shooting only film but uses X-T1… Am I missing something.. So he left the digital scene to then film scene to then X-T1?

Jesse Struyvelt April 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm /

Hi inFrame

fuji gave me the x-t1 for a week. I reviewed it as a film shooter. If you read the article you can see my conclusion. I won’t trade any digital camera for my film ;)

Thanks for the comments!

InFrame April 23, 2014 at 6:55 am /

You have a great portfolio for starters.. Not many articles do I read and then go to the source and see more.. I guess I was a little disappointed to not see more film photos from your Leica :-).

Bellamy April 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm / Reply

I have decided to remove a series of comments from this piece as some of them were rude bordering on offensive. It is about the pictures, and not about writing insults to the photographer. If you don’t like their work that is fine, but there is no need to be rude about it.
    Comments of this nature will be immediately removed. Oh, and writing “no offence” generally means you are about to be offensive, it is not a get out of jail card.

Jensdh Photography April 22, 2014 at 10:00 pm / Reply

I like your Black and White images the most.
    Beautiful how you capture the fragile sides of the girls.

Keep on going!

InFrame April 23, 2014 at 6:59 am / Reply

Bellamy I think articles in how they are written play a role in how people comment. The tough bit is to work out an editing system and finesse what followers read. In part I think people are generally getting worse with their comments these days.. Todays generations of young people communicating less on a human level and only communicating via text on a phone is having a domino effect.

Bellamy April 23, 2014 at 6:52 pm /

Certainly, that is true. I have no issue with people making comments, even negative ones, as long as they are appropriate and constructive. But when people start slinging insults then I have a problem. You are right, nowadays it seems like it is easier to be rude online than it is to say something useful.

Stuart April 23, 2014 at 8:01 pm / Reply

One of the many things I love about this site it the fact that it always seemed to be free of trolls, haters and whiners (whining about fuji cutting films is ok). Comments have always been positive or constructive-Let’s try to keep it that way fellas….

Shanti April 24, 2014 at 9:34 am / Reply

I enjoyed both your pictures, and your blog. Keep it up!

Don Craig May 1, 2014 at 6:28 am / Reply

Well I like the pictures, good work Jesse. That said, young women and models are a topic unto themselves. They want to be seen in a certain way and they will pose that way. Especially for a young man. An old man like me, I’d get ’em laughing and get them out of their skin (psychologically speaking). Communication and friendship is really necessary. Photographing women is endlessly interesting. What’s better, graffiti on a concrete wall, a bunch of dead flowers, a piece of sculptural junk? Another sunset? Do what you enjoy Jesse, keep shooting!