In your bag No: 849 – Dennis Van Patten

In your bag 849, Dennis Van Patten
Todays bag comes from New York and is ultra purist. Just the bare essentials for street photography. Come and check out Dennis’ great bag.

My name is Dennis , I am from New York and I like to do street photography whenever I have free time for it.
I’ve always wanted to submit my own bag to the site , but I don’t have a digital camera ,(Can you believe it? Haha) so I finally borrowed my friend’s shitty one.

Week Day Bag:

This is what my usual “weekday” bag looks like. Since I don’t have the time to shoot a ton I carry only one camera with me , the barnack is light and solid  , and get’s the job done.

DSC00020

-1938 Leica III

1x Summitar: This thing has less micro dust then a new VC glass ,it’s so clean that I have to use a B+W filter on it.

1x Orako: For sunny days , when I need more contrast on the rangefinder patch.

1x Leica Bright Line Viewfinder: This is really helpful when I am zone focusing at F8 , beats a M viewfinder.

2x Rollei Retro 400s: My new Neopan.

-Compact leather portfolio that has everything for my work and when I go to classes , even has a custom insert made for my macbook air , which I carry at all times.

-iPhone 4 (Yeezus is on repeat , tracks like “New Slaves” and “I am a God” really speak to me in a personal level)

-Some stainless steel headphones.

-Brown leather wallet that rather aged beautifully.

-Ray Bans for when I do not get any sleep.

-Hand Sanitizer.

-Book by Robert Adams about taking pictures , just picked it up.

-Black canvas/leather backpack.

Thanks for checking it out guys. You can find my photographs below on flickr , I plan on updating it with 60+ shots soon.

Thanks for sharing your bag with us Dennis. I love the III and the Summitar, cool stuff.
Check out the links and make sure you come and comment.

Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com. Send me a hi resolution image of the bag (please make sure it is horizontal) and its contents, with some details about yourself and what you shoot. Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here. Please understand that there is a long wait now as there is a backlog of submissions. Not all make the cut, so make sure yours is funny/interesting/quirky. And please make sure the shot is of good quality, as the ones that are not do not go up.

10 comments on “In your bag No: 849 – Dennis Van Patten”

John April 19, 2014 at 4:10 pm / Reply

I just talked to Jesus
    He said, “What up, Yeezus?”
    I said, “Shit I’m chillin’
    Tryna stack these millions”
    I know he the most high
    But I am a close high
    Mi casa, su casa
    That’s our cosa nostra
    I am a god
    I am a god
    I am a god

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I really can’t see how this talks to you in a personal level?

Dennis April 20, 2014 at 3:35 am /

Well there is a heck of a lot of symbolism going on in the track. The outro (AAH) is meant to be a transition to the upcoming song , in an almost movie-soundtrack in a way. And that is what makes this album an instant classic , every track is connected well with each other , but that is besides the point.

But when he is talking about “I am a god” he is referring to himself as a creator , just like how every one of us creates , even if there is one true creator above all else(I am a god ,Even though I’m a man of God). I can also relate a ton whenever you are successful , there are ass kissers that surround you , when you never kissed ass to get to the place you are today.(this can be seen in verse 1)

But overall New Slaves speak to me much more in a personal level , as it talks about priorities , the consequences of being a leader (of how people might view you) , the unfair drug war that locks up people who’ve had no prior criminal offenses , except that of being in the possession of marijuana (friends) and how there is a prison complex that makes off a ton of money from this , in a crony-capitalism fashion.

Sascha April 19, 2014 at 4:11 pm / Reply

Noticed the writing in this picture?

Jamie April 19, 2014 at 9:09 pm /

The writing on some emergency vehicles is backwards so you can read it in your rear view mirror when driving. The rear view mirror automatically flips everything backwards so the writing would appear normal.

ed April 20, 2014 at 3:11 am /

The backwards writing is just on the front of the vehicle, not on the doors/ladder. I think he just scanned it upsidedown.

Sascha April 21, 2014 at 4:39 pm /

I’d guess the numbers on the helmets of NY fire fighters are not designed to be seen in a rear view mirror…

Jon April 19, 2014 at 5:21 pm / Reply

Love the setup and the photos you’re shooting!

Dennis April 20, 2014 at 3:15 am /

Thanks man, add me on flickr , and I would like to check your stuff out too!

Teresa April 19, 2014 at 5:23 pm / Reply

This Leica iii is a beauty! And the lens renders really nice tones with Ektar. Lovely post, Dennis! You have a new follower on Flickr ;)

Dennis April 20, 2014 at 3:12 am /

Thanks for the kind words Teresa!