Visiting Tokyo? Then go here…

Visiting Tokyo? Then go here…
Some of you might remember that I wrote a little buyers guide for camera shopping in Tokyo. Well, there was a map attached to that, which may have been overlooked by some. So here is is again.

I was in Shinjuku yesterday and I just happened to meet a very nice chap by the name of Tom, who was travelling with his dad. Tom is a customer of mine, so it was really nice to put a face to the name. And it was really nice to see him shooting with this little beauty:

Tom had with him a map, but not a Dan Brown-esque load of silliness, this is a real treasure map. The Map Of Tokyo Camera Stores. This was the map that I put up earlier in the year and is still being added to slowly. It has a pretty good list of the main places to visit whilst you are in Tokyo.
Tom had managed to cross a few off his list, which was really great to hear. If you are reading this Tom it was a pleasure to meet you and I hope that you found the places without any trouble. Have a great trip.

I also met someone else. This is Silver, say hello to Silver:

Silver bought one of my film cases and then I took her to the film department of Yodobashi camera to help her choose a few films to take back to Thailand as gifts. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Japan Silver. Careful of the cold.

It is great to meet people who like the site and photography. And I honestly don’t mind if it is film or digital, just as long as you love what you do. If you are in Tokyo and you see me, stop me and chat. I cannot meet up with everyone that comes to Tokyo, I just don’t have time. But I always have time for a chat it you see me walking around.
In case you missed the articles on shopping in Tokyo, here they are again:
Part 1 Shinjuku
Part 2 Ginza
Part 3 Northern Tokyo

And in case you missed the link up the top. Click on the map:

So that is it. Hope you enjoy the map and hope to see you in Tokyo.

12 comments on “Visiting Tokyo? Then go here…”

Mike December 28, 2012 at 10:40 am / Reply

Thanks for this Bellamy, I am hoping to visit Japan in the next couple of years so this map will come in handy.

Tom O'Hara December 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm / Reply

Thanks Bellamy. Nice to meet you too. I managed to find all the places listed all thanks to your descriptions and map. I literally wouldn’t have found any without them. This experience has made it extremely clear to me how important your business is for us Westerners. The language barrier is one thing but even the correct etiquette and approach to buying is different and somewhat difficult to understand being from a country where the customer is number. So to those thinking that Bellamy doesn’t do much, I can tell you first hand he has a hard job. Especially in the cold

On a side note I met Shiyo at Ginza Leica. He did a very funny impersonation of your first impressions of Gilden.

Simon Leech December 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm / Reply

Hi Bellamy,
    Thanks for this map – I really found it useful whilst walking round Shinjuku and Ginza this past week camera shopping. If I could make one small suggestion to an already excellent resource – please add the Leica Ginza store to the map as well! It took me a while to find it, but only because the ‘official’ Google Maps places it opposite the Apple Store rather than back near the train station where it really is :)

Erik Johan Worsøe Eriksen December 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm / Reply

Ah! Great, Bellamy, just in time for tomorrows stumbling around Tokyo :-)

Wilo December 29, 2012 at 12:44 am / Reply

Hi Bellamy,
    Thank you so much! This is excellent for my Tokyo trip in coming January. If it is possible, would you mind to suggest me any bookstores/galleries /places which are worthy to visit.

Thanks! :)

Hung Tran December 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm / Reply

I recognise that camera and case. They both used to be mine :)

Great to see them put to real use Tom.

alebaffa January 30, 2013 at 6:59 am / Reply

Great, I come very often to Tokyo, so this map is definitely something I will print out for the next trip. I was wondering : where’s Bic Camera??

Tom January 30, 2013 at 9:20 am /

Not sure about Shinjuku but i know there is a big BIC camera in Shibuya near the famous crossing. I would imagine BIC is a lot like Yodobashi though, mostly selling new products. There is a huge Yodobashi camera just opposite the Shinkjuku station on the western side.

Greg Williamson January 30, 2013 at 7:45 am / Reply

I visited Tokyo last year and used your excellent map and blog posts to guide me to camera stores. I think I managed to visit every one in your articles. Picked up a nice little T2 and a couple of odds and ends. Dying to get back there soon!

Manny Illana February 10, 2013 at 8:24 am / Reply

Hi Bellamy,
    I will be in Shinjuku on Feb. 12 – 15 for some business meetings. The first time for me to visit Japan. Looking forward to seeing the camera stores in your map, hopefully get to bump into you.
    – Manny (Manila, Philippines)

Berndt March 31, 2013 at 11:24 am / Reply

Nice listing. Even some camera shops in there, I didn’t know. However, my favorite shop in Tokyo is missing and should definitely have a place there:アメ横カメラ&fb=1&hq=アメ横カメラ&cid=0,0,2546378837735959594&ei=jqtXUczvAs3QkAXo7YG4Ag&ved=0CKgBEPwSMAA

Claudia September 21, 2013 at 10:03 pm / Reply

Anyone knows how to paint the Leica logo black?