In your bag #169 – Kasper Løftgaard

In your bag number 169, Kasper Løftgaard
A lovely bag from Denmark for you today. Check out all of those cameras. It seems that lately there is a bit of a race as to how many cameras one person can stuff into their bag. Let’s have a look what is in this one…

First of all, sorry for the camera-phone image.. But it’s hard taking a good picture of your camera – without your camera :)

Anyway, my name is Kasper Løftgaard, and I’m studying photojournalism at the School of Media and Journalism in Århus, Denmark..

My bag is a Domke F3X Waxwear bag that I just recently bought, and now is the love of my life. It can fit whatever you throw at it, and when I’m out doing reportages people doesn’t see it as as camerabag.. Just a cool bag.

At the moment, most of my work is whatever the school throws at me. It’s mostly reportages and portraits in some sort of way. Everything with natural light, and most of the time I have to shoot digital because of short deadlines..

So for my daily work, I use a Canon 5d Mk II with a 35mm f/2.0, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and Canon 85mm f/1.8.. I love working with primes, and they have to be small and light. That’s the whole reason I haven’t got a 24-70, or some huge 35mm f/1.4 or something. It has to be light and not scare my subjects. A lot of times I shoot old people, and if you put a 1d with a 85mm f/1.2 in their face, they’re gonna run away screaming. Small and light, that’s the key.

I bought the Fuji X100 a few months back, and it’s been with me ever since when I’m doing reportages. It has flaws, and you get angry at it, but the quality is amazing, and no one notices when you take pictures of them. And even when they do, they’re not nearly as intimidated by it, as they would be if I shot them with my 5d..

I’m a digital guy, but I like film for some of my projects. I can’t afford a digital Hasselblad or PhaseOne, and even if I could, the size of the negative still isn’t up to the standards of 6×45. The school I’m attending has made it a lot easier for me, since we have our own C-41 developer and a Flextight x1 scanner that produces some amazing files of my film. It’s all for free, and if I’m on an assignment with no time-pressure, I love taking the Mamiya – next buy is gonna be a Pentax 67II with a 105 f/2.4. Those negatives usually makes me wet myself..

Oh yeah, and the Olympus OM-10.. My first film-camera. It’s not in my bag a lot of times, but for taking pictures of parties and stuff, it’s really fun :)

So that’s about it. I might be a little too digital for most of the guys in here, but the workflow has to come first when you’re on a tight schedule.

You can visit my website at www.kasperloftgaard.dk (which is about to be redesigned) or take a look at some of my recent projects on www.kasperloftgaard.dk/blog

Thanks for a great site.. Although it’s taking up way too much of my spare-time :-)

Kasper Løftgaard

Thanks Kasper, it is great to see someone one of those classic Mamiya’s, they are like tanks. Please be sure to check out Kasper’s links and make sure you comment.

Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com. Send me a hi resolution image of the bag (please make sure it is horizontal) and its contents, with some details about yourself and what you shoot. Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here.

6 Responses to In your bag #169 – Kasper Løftgaard

jeff June 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Found this site recently and now I visit daily. Thanks for the interesting blog.

And in regards to this post, I enjoyed his work. Keep it up!

Thanks to everyone involved.

Michael June 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The “race” is on. Don’t get get me wrong, I enjoy seeing collector’s stuff like the next guy–let’s keep it real–a go bag of four, five, six (or more) cameras, flash, film, memory, books, etc gets HEAVY and impractical. Am I alone or am I missing something?

-Michael

Kasper Løftgaard June 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Michael, you’re absolutely right. First of all, it’s a very tight squeeze, getting all of these cameras into the bag, and extremely impractical when you have to get them out for shooting..

But as I wrote in the post, I don’t always have everything inside it. Only when I’m travelling.

Normally it’s either:

Everyday assignments: Canon 5d, 35, 50, 85 + Fuji X100 (maybe a flash)

My own projects: Mamiya 645 and Olympus OM10 (maybe the Mamiya will get substituted with my new Pentax 67)

But yeah, you’re right. The race is on. A bit too much maybe :-)

Michael Rabern June 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

Kasper,

Cheers to you from USA! I understand wholeheartedly your approach, but I worry “the bag” colum/section/catagory, whathaveyou, may loose its sensibility.

I felt you were careful to point out your kit carefully. Bellamy opened the door for my response, and it resonated into the comment. Please forgive any offense if you felt it was reaffirmed by the amount of your things.

About you kit, it covers all with excellence. Explained well.

Your hand in the reflection left me wondering what with you took the photo– the phone camera! It’s with every bag, yet we ignore it. Now I know-you wanted to sneak in another camera, you rascal!

I will look you up when I am in Denmark next for some good places to shoot. Good luck with school, enjoy it! Thanks for the reply.

Michael Rabern

ps I learned about to much kit the hard way. Cheers!

Kasper Løftgaard June 7, 2012 at 4:59 am

Michael,

I’ll always try to sneak in another camera one way or the other.. But at some point the front-flap on my bag opens and shouts “STOP, you lunatic” :-)

No offense taken btw, and please look me up next time you’re in Denmark. The place is filled with photographs :)

Kai June 9, 2012 at 3:03 am

first i want to congratulate you on your fine portraits Kapser. I really enjoyed the work on your Website. and the blog has awesome material too.

second: beside that i like your style, i like the way you to your work: primes. i love them too.