In your bag #160 – Jesse Freeman

In your bag number 160, Jesse Freeman
We have a cool bag today from a cool guy. Jesse Freeman is a good mate and a really nice bloke too. His bag reflects his style. I am very happy to feature this bag.

Hi!

My name is Jesse Freeman, I live here in Tokyo and am nothing in particular. I am orginally from Baltimore, MD, but have been in Japan for six years now.

I got two photos here as I usually swap between a Leica M3 with a 50mm summicron DR and Leicameter MR, and a Leica M6 with a 50mm f1.5 Zeiss Sonar lens. Love the different characters the two 50mm offer me.
(Going counter clockwise-ish) I carry a Billingham x Leica camera bag. Love the classicness of Billingham if that makes sense. My friend John Sypal gave me the film container, I primarily shoot fujifilm Presto 400 as I self develop with Fujifilm chemicals.
I recently just switched from Muji to Moleskin notebooks to jot down ideas or notes. Loved the fact the Hemmingway used moleskin! I always loose pens, but I was given an expensive one as a gift and still have managed not to loose it. I keep my business cards in a Muji card holder.
I am not at all an Apple person, but I love my iphone and am addicted to instagram. I love my Omega Speedmaster Proffessional, like the Leica, I appreciate the history of it. Kind of weird but I carry two sets of glasses. The black pair is actually prescription because for some reason only my right eye is going bad, and am having an increasing diffculty in rangefinding :( The Rayban’s are just classic :)
I really enjoy literature so I always have a book with me, currently re-reading Celine’s classic Death on Installment Plan. I always carry Ricoh GR1s where ever I go and I actually have two as I tend to drop them a lot. I keep them in a Headporter case and have a matching Headporter strap.
I am a bit of an alcoholic lol, so I always carry a flask with me and tend to drink while shooting. I only fill it with Bourbon whiskey. Going back to products and their craftmanship and history, I really do love Louis Vuitton. I usually buy the more subtle Taiga leather but still have the monogrammed wallet and key case. I lost the coin case after a photoshoot and my friend gave me an A.P.C. coin case (you need a coin case in Japan!). I love A.P.C. and this case was only given to guests at a recent launch party they had to celebrate their anniversary.

I feel bad I told Bellamy on bag 40 something I’d give him a write up and finally did one circa 160 something. I am glad to be given the oppurtunity to do one, thanks Bellamy.
Also you can find me @
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imnothinginparticular/
Tumblr: http://imnothinginparticular.tumblr.com/
Instagram (why not): nothinginparticular Jesse Freeman
Thank you!

Thanks Jesse for sharing your awesome bag. I have all the time in the world for a man who carries a hip flask. It is rad to see your bag on the site. Check out Jesse’s links and make sure you comment.

Keep them coming folks, we need more submissions, so get your bag on Japancamerahunter.com. Send me a hi resolution image of the bag (please make sure it is horizontal) and its contents, with some details about yourself and what you shoot. Oh and don’t forget your contact details (twitter, flickr, tumbler et al). Send the bag shots here.

16 comments on “In your bag #160 – Jesse Freeman”

Kosta May 27, 2012 at 10:17 am / Reply

Jesse is a cool guy and has some really amazing photos! interesting to see what’s in his bag!

does this make us bag perverts?

John Adrian Orr May 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm / Reply

Jesse, your images are simultaneously exquisite and inspiring. ‘Nothing in particular’ is quite an understatement! Many thanks for sharing the bag as this allowed me to access your work in silver and silicon.

Jesse Freeman May 28, 2012 at 8:15 am /

Wow seriously thank you john!

Ondatra May 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm / Reply

I always find it so funny and pretentious when someone has a notebook in the bag for “writing ideas”. What ideas, lol? It’s more like “wannabe cool accessory” than a useful one. And why would you wear the watches in your bag instead of your wrist? Like someone mentioned, this bag really looks like a girl’s bag lol.

Jesse Freeman May 28, 2012 at 8:25 am /

Fair enough! I didn’t want to go into it, but ya i actually have stacks of notebooks. I study ikebana and our teachers have us sketch every arrangement in notebooks, in addition i make short films and the last one came from a series of ideas from my notebooks, and like i said i read a lot, so i write down quotes, themes and essay points, think about them and use them for my blog that I review them on. So it actually is extremely useful…There is only one watch not sure where the other one is lol…but good point, i just like my watch. And as far as it being girl`s bag, don`t know too many girls that drink whiskey from a flask, nor has any one ever said this to my face :)

jesse May 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm / Reply

Thanks Kosta! Recognized your from flickr, cool how connected the community is…

Longwei May 27, 2012 at 6:46 pm / Reply

Great bag and great to see the reference to Celine here. But it really make sense for a photographer; I think the first part of this novel brings powerful images of the begining of the XXth century – having a rangefinder and being there at that time is a kind of dream.
    But with the flask, I would expect in this bag “Love is a dog from hell” or “Pulp”!

jesse May 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm / Reply

lol thanks…sadly I still haven’t read C.B., into Nikos Kazantzakis at the moment…

longwei May 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm /

I haven’t read Kazantzakis, seems I should give him a try. Thanks for bringing the idea.

Regarding Charles Bukowski, I am a big fan, but I should warn you, if you read and like, you might have later to cary a bottle instead of a flask in your bag.

jesse May 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm /

Ya he is amazing…Just lost to Camus by a few votes for the Nobel prize.

Lol, should be interesting then! I watched a documentary on him not to long ago and have been interested to read for the last few months. Thanks!

Alex Beck May 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm / Reply

There’s really nothing quite like shooting film with a good old Leica is there… :-)

jesse May 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm /

no there sure isn’t :) Its is the feel… like jazz on record, or novels in paperback form, love film with my Leicas…

[…] ist und wie sie mit dem neuen Leica APO-Summicron-M 50 mm f/2 ASPH. harmoniert.Blogs & PortfolioJesse Freeman zeigt was er in seiner Fototasche aufbewahrt.David Powell hat die Camea Fair in Tokio besucht und […]

[…] and how the new Leica APO-Summicron-M 50 mm f/2 ASPH. lens performs on it.Blogs & PortfolioJesse Freeman shows gives an insight in his photo bag.David Powell visited the Tokyo Camea Fair and got a […]

Shanti January 8, 2013 at 2:43 am / Reply

Jesse I have to agree with Mr. Orr your work is really amazing. I’m excited to see what you do next.

Cheyenne Morrison March 14, 2015 at 7:31 am / Reply

Dear Jesse, nice bag especially the LV gear. However, sadly I must burst your bubble about Moleskine and Hemingway. It’s a lie dreamed up by Moleskine’s marketing team who have subsequently had to publicly admit this, but it keeps getting trotted out as fact.

Hemingway never used anything even resembling a Moleskine. He used cheap blue “Cahier” notebooks, similar to the cheap notebooks with two staples school children use. Here is an image of Hemingway’s manuscript for “The Sun Also Rises” written on a 100 page “L’Incroyable” brand Cahier which he writes of purchasing at a stationers in Spain, Papeleria E. BORT PELLICER in Zaragoza.

In a 2004 New York Times interview Modo & Modo marketing director Francesco Franceschi even admitted to the marketing con, saying that “The Moleskine link to Chatwin and Hemingway is an exaggeration. It’s marketing, not science. It’s not the absolute truth.”

Does a Moleskine notebook tell the truth?
    By Jason Horowitz, The New York Times: Saturday, October 16, 2004

The magic behind a simple yet expensive ‘myth’
    By NAOATSU AOYAMA The Asahi Shimbun GLOBE, December 11, 2011

So all the history of use by famous writers is outright fraud, and that leaves us with a product which despite superb Italian marketing is in fact a cheap product produced in sweatshops in China.

ALTERNATIVES??

If you want a really classy notebook, handmade with Japanese craftsmanship then I suggest Design Y – LP Record Handbound goatskin leather journals. These superbly crafted journals are handmade by Mr. Yoshino.

Residence Sunshine 806, 22-15 Tachimachi, Aoba-ku, Sendai City, Miyagi-ken, 980-0822, Japan

I actually prefer smaller Cahiers, what have now achieved fame with the Field Notes brand, but for something more beautiful I buy handmade and letterpress printed journals made in France.

Calepino
    Carnets de Poche (Pocket Journals)
    100% recycled French-made memo books